Whilst there are still areas of improvement, we realise it’s a journey and are excited by each step we take. We look at 4 main elements across HộP, starting with how we treat the people around us; our community involvement; how we sit within the industry; and, of course, the negative global effects that companies like us need to work together to reduce.
Here’s some of the ways we’re being socially responsible:
1. Company - It’s important to us that our team are treated fairly. We have a very transparent approach and it’s our policy to be ensure we are a considerate business, providing opportunity within.
- Fair pay for all of our team members, paid weekly.
- Part-time and full-time positions (no zero hours contracts).
- Paid break with free food on shift.
- Training and development including courses for GMs on commerciality and more.
- Recruiting internally before looking outside the company, nurturing the talent we have.
- Regular team events and parties.
- 20 days holiday a year + bank holidays + day off on your birthday + 1 extra day for every two years working for HộP.
- Perk scheme & discount at HộP outside of work hours.
2. Community - We want to use our position in this exciting industry to influence those around us and help who we can.
- We support our long-time charity partner KOTO with regular donations. KOTO (Know One Teach One) help to get disadvantaged kids off the Hanoi streets and into the kitchens. We’ve been supporting them since day 1.
- In addition to our regular payments, we’ve been donating 20p per every Chicken Satay Noodle Salad sold to KOTO since June 2019.
- We fundraise for London charities around key dates eg. We gave 25p from every HộP Small sold in the week’s run up to Pride in London to help keep the festival and awareness growing.
- We have signed up to Action Against Hunger’s ‘Love Food Give Food’ industry-wide campaign starting in September 2019.
- We recruit team members through charity, ELBA, who help to place people in jobs.
3. Industry - We strive to be a force to be reckoned with within the industry and to keep up with best practises.
- We keep all compostable cutlery behind the till so it’s there if customers need it, but by not having it for the taking, the consumption has gone down so we believe it’s because people are only asking for what they actually need.
- We sell reusable coffee SoL cups. HộP SoL cups are made from hand-blown glass which is a sustainable and ethical manufacturing process as well as being 100% plastic free. Buy one of these and your first coffee is on the house.
- Customers are welcome to bring in any reusable cup and we’ll knock 25p off the price of our hot drinks
- We use compostable paper straws in our cocktails
- We work with suppliers to provide us with ingredients in reusable boxes
4. World - This is about taking responsibility for our full impact on global issues.
- We have minimal food waste, partnering with 3rd parties like Olio, and Karma to distribute any food that would otherwise be destined for the bin.
- This year, we launched smaller portions (half banh mis/ HộP Smalls) for smaller appetites, helping to avoid food waste.
- We have a partnership with Taylor St Barista coffee who pay a fair price for their beans and ensure ethical practices throughout their production cycle.
- Our eggs are British and free range
- We have vegan dishes on the menu and are currently reviewing new plant based meals to launch this year.